Saturday, February 23, 2013

Trying to find English speakers in Azerbaijan, not so easy

   Azeris speak a language that's very similar to Turkish. Their second language tends to be Russian, so chances are that those who speak English do it as a third langauge.
   But the government has pushed to give out a lot of scholarships to kids to study in the States and elsehwere abroad.
   These young guys I bumped into at Fountain Square all spoke to me in English.
   Elsewhere, however, I had some trouble communicating, as my Russian is non-existence and I can't speak two words of Turkish, much  less Azeri. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Nederlands/Dutch Français/French Русский/Russian Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish Ελληνικά/Greek 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified 中文(简体)/Chinese Traditional